Located in northern Israel, on the coastal town of Acre, near Khan al-Umdan, the Maronite House and the Church of St. Andreas, the Templars’ Tunnel is a known pilgrimage site that the team of 360HolyPlaces™ filmed in 360°.
The Templars were a military-monastic order that, in the name of the Pope, helped pilgrims coming from Europe to visit the sacred sites of the Land of Israel.
Why are they called the guardians of the temple?
It is necessary to know that they settled in Israel first of all in Jerusalem, on the Temple Mount, hence their name “guardians of the Temple”. But after the conquest of Jerusalem by Salah Al-Din around 1187, the Templars moved to Acre where they began to build their neighborhood in the southern section of the city.
It must be known that this tunnel was discovered in 1994, the entire length of the tunnel was rehabilitated from 2007, to make it accessible to the public. The tunnel is over 300 meters long and extends from the Templar Fortress in the west to the city port in the east. It also served as an underground military strategic passage that linked the palace to the port. The lower part of the tunnel is carved in stone and its upper part is made of cut stones covered with a semi-fluted dome. At the western end of the tunnel is the main fortress of the Knights Templar Order. This fortress of the Templars was the strongest in the city and for the most part it sheltered the sea line. As a strong fortress, its entrance was protected by two large, very powerful towers with walls of great depth. Two smaller towers were built on either side of the towers and each tower was surmounted by a gilded lion.
Visit this Holy Place in Virtual Reality 360° by clicking on the video 360° below.