Tel Shikmona is an ancient upstream located near the coast of the sea in the city of Haifa, Israel, just south of the Israeli National Institute of Oceanography. It is close to other pilgrimage places such as Elijah’s cave, The Stella Maris Carmelite Monastery, the Church of the Holy Heart, the St. Elias Cathedral of the Melkite Catholic or the St. Gregory Church. The team of 360HolyPlaces™ filmed for you this Holy Place.
Tel Siqmonah and its surroundings were the subject of archaeological excavations as early as 1939 by the Department of Antiquities of the British Government of Palestine. Other seasons of excavations took place in the years 1963-1979 by the museum of Haifa. The remains of a first settlement here were exposed on a small archaeological mount that meets at the seashore. The lower layers of the mount are of the Late Bronze Age (16th century BCE) and the upper ones belong to the Byzantine period (5th-6th centuries CE). Shikmona flourished during the Roman period and the settlement, spread out beyond the borderlines of the small tel.
Take a tour of the Tel Shikmona in 360° by clicking on the video 360 below.