Located in the Muslim Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem, after the Lion’s Gate, close to the Church of Saint Anne and the Pools of Bethesda and in front of the Station 1, there is the Catholic Franciscan complex. It is a Roman Catholic church and Christian pilgrimage site. Also included in this complex are the Monastery of the Flagellation, and the Church of the Condemnation. We are at the Station 2 of Via Dolorosa. This place was filmed in Virtual Reality 360° by the team of 360HolyPlaces™.
According to tradition, this was the site where Jesus was flogged by the Roman soldiers after he was convicted and sentenced to death.
At this station, Jesus receives the cross (John) “And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha…And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross…”.
We can see in the Monastery of the Flagellation church, 3 stained-glass windows illustrating Pontius Pilate washing his hands from the sin (on the left in the church); flogging Jesus and placing a crown of thorns over the head (center); and Barabbas rejoices on his release instead of Jesus (on the right).
Crusaders – the Franciscans
Saint Francis an Italian who lived in the late 12th C, established the Franciscan order. The Franciscans presence in the Holy Land started in the early 13th C, when they resided in a small house in via Dolorosa. The pope Clement VI in 1342 declared that the Franciscans are the official custodians of the Holy places (“Custodia Terra Sancta”). It is still in use today.
Late Ottoman period
In 1836-8 The Egyptian General Ibrahim Pasha give the site to the Franciscans, who conquered the city in 1832 and held it until 1841. In 1839 the first chapel was built. And during the years 1927-1929, the chapel was rebuilt. It was designed by the Italian famous church architect, Antonio Barluzzi.
Discover this place in Virtual Reality 360° by clicking on the image below.