In the center of Israel, south of Rosh Haayin, near the modern settlement of El’ad city, by road 444, is the mausoleum of Mazor. It is located in the southern Moshav Mazor National Park. A Hellenistic and Roman mausoleum would be one of the oldest structures in Israel. It contains a tomb, commemorating Jean-Baptiste later. This place was filmed for you by the team of 360HolyPlaces™ .
Hellenistic and Roman Periods
The structure was built during the Hellenistic period. It was later modified during the Roman period, as its architecture follows similar structures of late Roman period that are found in Syria. It is during the Byzantine period that the tradition of a monument commemorating Jean-Baptiste may have begun. Later, the Arabs continued to consecrate the structure as a sanctuary in St. John, as it is considered in the Koran as a prophet. They named him Makam in Neby Yahyah, or the “sanctuary of John the Baptist.”
SWP Survey (19th C)
Conder and Kitchener surveyed this area during the Western Palestine Survey in 1873. Their 1873 report in Sheet XIV is found on pages 365-367:
“Makam in Neby Yahyah – One of the most curious monuments of the country, visited by Consul Finn in 1848 and 1859, by Major Wilson in 1866, by the Survey Party in 1872 and 1873. At the latter visit a plan and A detailed sketch.
The building has its entrance on the north, and has a rolling along the facade of 73 degrees. It consists of a portico and a square building, comprising two bedrooms. The gantry measures 30 feet by 9 feet 6 inches outdoors; The rest of the building 30 feet by 24 feet. The western room is 15 feet wide, the east is 8 feet, inside measure. The main part of the building is 14 feet 8 inches high on the roof, which is full, but the room has its roof 2 1/2 feet higher. The pillars are 9 feet long. The portico has two pillars and two pillars, with Corinthian capitals supporting a cornice. It seems probable that a second floor is above the roof of the building, or at least a parapet wall. The molding of the small door was the most curious feature of the building, and unlike any other monument found by the Survey party.
These details are all given on the plans. The door is only 3 feet 10 inches wide on the outside, and 3 feet 6 inches inside; 4 feet 8 inches high on the outside, 5 feet inside the wall, 3 feet 6 inches thick. The material of the walls is of hard stone, but the masonry is roughly cut, and not in all cases square; Small stones are used in places in thick joints, with white mortar mixed with pieces of pottery. The masonry of the porch is better, being square, but the height of the courses is irregular. The whole is much worn by age, and of a deep yellow color, like that of the Haram Wall in Jerusalem. The walls seem to have been partially repaired, and the roof may be as well.
In the western room there is a cenotaph and a mihrab. These are both obviously modern additions, and no part of the original design. The roof of the western chamber is supported on two semi-circular ribs of 19 voussoirs each.
The stone keys are the smallest, the biggest hedge-stones, as in the Byzantine buildings. On these coasts, 15 feet wide and about 2 feet wide, flat roof slabs are laid in three rows of six each to the north and south. The room is covered with six slabs. A staircase leads to the east wall of the bedroom is inside; It consists of flat slabs built in the wall, seven of which remain. They drive a height of 10 feet 10 inches to a window, of which there are three on the east wall of different heights. The rest of the staircase was, maybe, outside, but there is also an opening on the roof to the north. The slabs on the roof are covered with a very hard cement mixed with pounded pottery.
The main indications concerning this curious building are:
- 1st. The order of architecture, which seems to be a classical style degraded, as dates to the Christian period.
- 2nd. The mania that the roof is of the same date with the buildings that seems indicated by the method by which it is supported on the bulkhead and the arches. The transverse wall is then part of the original design of the structure.
- 3rd. The vaults of the roof are semicircular, with narrow stones, as in the buildings of the fifth century.
- 4th. The general arrangement of the roof (which is used in modern houses in northern Syria), is also found in the ruined buildings of the Hauran and Alah districts, which are attributed to the Christian period.
- 5th. The Aboriginal tradition links the place with St. John the Baptist, who had a church in Mejdel Yaba, not far away.
Discover this place in Virtual Reality 360° by clicking on the image below.