In 1862, the monastery was built on several layers of ruins and was restored during its centenary. A well-preserved garden serves as a façade for the four chapels, one dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, one to the twelve apostles, one to Mary Magdalene and, in the ancient round tower, to St. Nicholas. The monastery by birth was probably established during the third or fourth century G.E. Historians believe that the original was destroyed by the Persians in 614 CE. And later reconstructed and redesigned several times. It is surrounded by the most southern walls of the old town and includes a guest house that has already served dozens of Christian pilgrims.
Take a tour of this Holy Place in Virtual Reality by clicking on the video below.