At station 2 along Via Dolorosa street, nearby to the Monastery of the Flagelation. The Catholic Franciscan chapel of the “Condemnation and Imposition of the Cross” is located in their complex. According to tradition, this was the site where Jesus took up his cross after being sentenced. It is based on the finding of large Roman pavement stones that may have been part of Pilate’s judgment seat for the condemnation of Jesus, and the place where Jesus took up his cross after being sentenced. Right after he was sentences to death, the Gospels describe how the Roman guards dressed Jesus in a purple robe such as emperors and kings wore gave him a crown of thorns and mocked him with the salutation “Hail, King of the Jews”. At that point, Pontius Pilate is said to have called out to the crowd. This place was filmed in Virtual Reality by the team of 360HolyPlaces™.
A little history:
In Jerusalem, the site in the vicinity of the church of Condemnation was in the Roman times the place of the seat of Pontius Pilate, located in the Antonia fortress, and the place of the hall of judgment. John 18:28: “Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment”. Jesus is condemned to death by Pontius Pilate, as per John 19:16: “Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified”. In the church, and outside the chapel, are huge stones which were part of the Roman pavement dated to the 2nd C.
At the site of the Condemnation chapel, an earlier chapel was located, dated to the years 1229-1244. It was decimated in the 13th C.The Franciscan order was established by Saint Francis, an Italian who lived in the late 12th C. The Franciscans presence in the Holy Land started in the early 13th C, when they resided in a small house (station 5) in via Dolorosa. In 1342, the Pope Clement VI declared that the Franciscans are the official custodians of the Holy places (“Custodia Terroe Sanctoe“). This custody is still in effect to date.
Late Ottoman period
A new church was built by the Franciscans during the years 1903-1904, on the ruins of the Crusaders chapel. Large Roman flagstones were discovered under the ruins and along the way to the Convent of the Sisters of Zion – which is adjacent to the site. These pavement slabs were associated with the site of the judgment, based on the Biblical verse that describes this place (John 19:13): “When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha”.
The chapel is located inside the Franciscan complex, adjacent to the Flagellation chapel, and open to the public.
Discover this place in Virtual Reality 360° by clicking on the image below.