Chorazin or Korazimin in Hebrew.
Chorazin is a village near Capernaum on a hill above the Sea of Galilee (north shore). In the same region we can found other famous places of pilgrimage like the Church of the Twelve Apostles, the Yardenit Baptismal Site, White Synagogue in Capernaum, or the Church of the Beatitudes… And all these places were filmed in VR 360 by the team of It is one of 360HolyPlaces™. It is the “cities”, or villages, where Jesus performed miracles in Galilee. With Bethsaida and Capernaum, it has become known as the “evangelical triangle”. However, these towns were cursed for rejecting Him (Matthew 11:20-24). The original location was destroyed by an earthquake, what some believe was God’s judgement for “not changing their ways.”
The ruins of Chorazin, one of the three Galilean cities cursed by Jesus
Visitors today will see a 25 acre excavated ruin. Structures that were uncovered are constructed of black basalt (volcanic rock). There is a ritual bath and olive millstones (for olive oil pressing). There is a synagogue similar to others in Galilee.
The site of Chorazim is important for Christians because it is one of the “cities” where Christ taught and established His ministry. The excavated site shows a “typical” Galilean village from the 1st century with its synagogue and olive presses.” Today this place is protected by Israel National Parks Authority.
Remains of a Jewish town mentioned in the Babylonian Talmud (Menahot 8S/A), as renowned for the good wheat grown there. In the New Testament (Matthew 11121, Luke 10/13) Korazim is mentioned as a city condemned by Jesus, together with Beth-Saida and Capernaum. Eusebius’ Onomasticon describes Korazim as a ruined city. The town covers an area of some 100 dunams and is divided into five quarters. The central quarter of the town contains a synagogue, remains of three large buildings and a prominent paved square in the center of the quarter.
Earliest occupation of Korazim was in the first or second century C.E. and was located on the slope of the northern hill. In the Mishna and Talmudic period, third-fourth centuries C.E., the town grew and spread southwards. Most of the remains visible today date to this period. At the end of the Talmudic period in the fifth or sixth century C.E., the town was restored. Many repairs and changes were carried out in the original buildings and in the synagogue. The next period of growth was in the eighth century, during the Early Arabic period, when additional changes were made in the various buildings. After a hiatus of several hundred years, settlement was renewed in the thirteenth century C.E. A small population occupied the site from the fifteenth century, until the beginning of the present century. A traveler passing through the area in the sixteenth century, reported about Jewish fishermen living in Korazim.
The first excavations of Korazim were conducted by Kohl and Watzinger in the early 1900’s, as part of their survey of ancient synagogues. Excavations were renewed in the 1920’s by the Hebrew University and the British-Mandat Government’s Department of Antiquities. Extensive work in the central quarter was carried out by the Israel Department of Antiquities and Museums between 1962 and 1965. Further excavation and restoration activities were carried out between 1980 and 1983, as a joint enterprise of the National Parks Authority and the Department of Antiquities and Museums.
The Israel Nature and National Parks Protection Authority, with the participation of the Israel Government Tourist Corporation, ca ried out conservation work, built a promenade path and explanatory signs .
Discover this place of pilgrimage in Virtual Reality in 360° by clicking on the video below.