In northern Israel, in the city of Migdal Haemek, it is situated the Ancient Church. Between the Monastery of Archangel Gabriel and the Church of St.Jacobs, the little Church is a place of pilgrimage.
The Team of 360HolyPlaces™ visited the place embedded with a 360° camera.
Migdal Haemek or Tower of the Valley is a northern Israeli city.
On the old road from the Jezreel Valley to Jaffa, and Sepphoris, 3 km from the Nahallal junction, on the road to Nazareth, we have Migdal Haemek, a modern city created in the fifties. The ruins of an agricultural village that was established in the Bronze Age until the Roman period are located in the north of the city. There are also remains of several ruins of the Arab Mujeidal village high on the hill, also its churches. In Roman times the road began near Tel Shimron, along the south side of Migdal Haemek, then through the valley to Jaffa, a large village in the time of Jesus. It then passes near Nazareth and continues to Sephhoris. The ancient village was built closer to the road, on the slopes of the lower north.
The site was inhabited in the early Bronze Age (3500-2000 BC) and was a small farming village. Presses, tombs and quarries testify that the village was based on agriculture and stone. Wine presses are typical of the early Bronze Age (2000-1600BC). These industrial and agricultural installations continued to be used throughout the Golden Age, Hellenistic period and Roman / Byzantine period. The village also maintained an old road that was adjacent to the site. At the beginning of the Muslim period these quarries continued to be exploited.
On the higher slopes of the hill, the small Arab village (Mujeidal) was built. “El Mujeidil” a feeder village on high ground, built on earth and stone, and on the north side of a small plateau where the cupboards are placed. Near the main spring (Ain el Helu), whose supply was almost exhausted in October 1872. There is another source of bad water (Ain el Malhah), and a third – a pit cut in rock The valley.) The inhabitants are largely Muslim but there is a Protestant mission with a fluctuating congregation and the Orthodox Greeks in the village.
In 1931 there were 1044 Muslims and 197 Christians. In 1948, the villagers fled the village, and most were destroyed, sparing 2 churches. The new town of Migdal Haemek was then built around these hills, and in 2006 the population is over 25,000 inhabitants.
Over the past 20 years, a major industrial park (Ramat-Gabriel) has been built north of the old industrial and agricultural facilities. Industries include a large semiconductor manufacturing, electronics and assembly of plastic, textile and Hi-Tech. Agriculture has moved the Kibbutz colonies, like Nahalal. Surprisingly, the ancient tradition of wine pressing continued in the region, there are many “boutique” of wineries that operate in the valley.
The modern city is located in an area with an ancient remains of a village that existed here from the Early Bronze Age. There are two Churches remain from the ruined Arab village, located on both sides of the main road to Nazareth. The following photo shows the church of St. Nicholas north of the main road. In 2006 a new stone fence was built around the church to protect the site. The church wall was completed in 2007. On the south side of the main road is another church,the Franciscan Catholic church of St. Gabriel.
This holy place was filmed with the Virtual Reality 360° that you can see by clicking on the video below.